Saturday, January 22, 2011

Me, Myself and I

My full name is Darrell Brian Smith Jr. The name "Darrell" I get from my grandfather and the name "Brian" comes from my Dad. I have always gone by the nickname BJ which short for Brian Junior. Until I came to college four years ago, I have lived in the small town of Millry, Alabama. Its a little, out-of-the-way, country town that only a select few people even know exists, but its home. I have lived in Mobile for the past 4 years now and I have really enjoyed my time here. I really didn't know much about U.S.A. when I decided to come here but it has really been an amazing part of my life.

Some of my major interest are pretty simple things. I love listening to music, I like all different types of music and each genre holds a new flavor of life. I absolutely love to travel. I love visiting new places and seeing things I have never seen. I hope to travel all over the world during my life. Photography is among my favorite hobbies as well. I love taking pictures of nature the most, too many of my photo albums have too few people in them. Some of my other interests are camping, cooking, Greek Mythology, reading, technology, and the weather.

I have a great family consisting of my Dad, Mom and a sister. I love them all very much and being from a small town we also live every close to most of our extended family. I want to be a teacher because I love kids. I love to work with them and watch them learn and I would love to be a part of that process.

As for my passions, I love God. Now I know that in the world today that idea has been smudged by a lot of people, and there are a lot of misconceptions floating around about christianity. I wont try to tell you that I know what's going on all the time or how to fix it, but I do have faith in God and I try to hold to Him in the good times and the bad. As a result, one of my passions in life is missionary work. As I stated earlier, I love to travel and I have been on several mission trips both in and out of the United States. I hope to one day use my skills as a teacher to travel abroad and help other people both spiritually and intellectually. One of my other passions is camp ministry. For the past three years I have spent my summers at a campground working youth and children's camps. Camp is one of my favorite places and I will always treasure my memories there. I love it because it really gives me an opportunity to get on a one-on-one level with kids and really get to know them. I hope that one day these experiences will benefit me as an educator.

4 comments:

  1. You included many interests and hobbies, which is great, because we love details in EDM! It is great that you have have experience in camps and missions. It will help you a lot as a teacher. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very excited to read your post BJ. I believe in the same things you do and think it's great that we have young adults wanting to be a good influence on kids. Small towns are usually full of some good people with good values. You sound like you are one of those people and I wish the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend your service and faith in Jesus Christ. I have already met with you in class since you are in my Podcast group. Being a teacher is truly working for God and I think we will benefit from this class in reaching out to kids. I'm anxious to get started on our project on Wednesday and I will see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You provided a lot of information about yourself. This is good in that it will be easier to get to know you. I like your faith in God and it shows good character.

    ReplyDelete