Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog Post 5

For this post, I watched the video The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom. It was a very informative video which explored, as the name suggests, the benefits of using the iPod and podcasting in the education field. It's a great idea and i think that podcasts could be a great addition to a teachers arsenal of learning tools. I especially liked the accessibility of the information to students. I liked the fact that the teachers can simply upload their lessons to iTunes and have it available to student who have to miss class, for whatever reason, or are just audible learners and study more effectively by listening. I also liked the fact that the teachers were getting involved with the podcasts and making the experience enjoyable for the students. I think that mobile learning technologies such as podcasts will have a prominent place in the future of education.

For this post I also read the blog: 100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better. This idea of utilizing the iPod and podcasts in schools is a very promising idea. I, personally just received an iPod for Christmas and it is one of my favorite devices. It is more than capable of handling all types of learning programs and applications. I think we are only barely scratching the surface of what we can accomplish for learning through podcasting and the iPod.

Also for this post I listened to the podcast The Practical Principals with Melinda Miller and Scott Elias. This podcast was a great example of what can happen with the proper use of a podcast. I think that this can be a great too for kids especially audible learners. This will make it possible for not only teachers to enhance their lessons and communicate with students but also for students to relate with each other. This idea of having kids podcast could be fun for the kids but also be a way to link kids from different schools. Sometimes its hard for kids to grasp that there is more out there than their own environment and to be able to listen to a podcast from somewhere else entirely could be very beneficial.

Overall, I think that podcasts can have a major impact on the way we learn and teach. I am very impressed at the progress that has already been made in this area. Because of the Internet, the world of learning and education is being exponentially expanded in ways that we have yet to imagine. In the next few years we are bound to see more ways to keep revolutionizing out perspective of education.

3 comments:

  1. "I think we are only barely scratching the surface of what we can accomplish for learning through podcasting and the iPod." You are correct. How can we speed up the process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best way to speed up iPod relevance is to get people comfortable with the technology. I have an iPod touch and it is very user friendly. If people would take the time to learn their options and explore the possibilities of iPod (or similar device) learning I believe an acceleration in mobile learning will take place as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right! I also have an iPod touch and it is very easy to use. It is my favorite device I own because not only does it hold thousands of songs, it also can hold applications that could benefit learning in a classroom. I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete